ermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, The New King of Heat Dissipation Air Cooler, 趴1, &2

狂少

Bulletproof Themer
已加入
9/18/03
訊息
互動分數
點數
空冷之王?
就是這個,水冷都有辦法幹掉
T120我看要閃邊..貓頭鷹勉強可能追的上一點點....
狂少是說實話...其它的...真的不用多比了..
大家英文勉強看...抱歉啦...

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, The New King of Heat Dissipation Air Cooler, Part I & Part II

We have seen so many "heavy duty" coolers since Intel's Core 2 Duo series processor hit the retail market. They are usually marked as "....can be applied up to some serious percentage after overclocking. However, what is the truth behind all those "heavy duty" CPU coolers? The most popular air cooling way of CPU coolers from the moment C2D appeared is so called the "heat pipe cooled" which focus on the low noise level but can reach high efficiency. Such kind of coolers are all over the market currently; from my personal point of view, there are some of them really can reach what they guaranteed from the advertisement and even give you beyond what you expect. Today, we are going to take a serious look on the newest product from Thermalright's improved version of Ultra-120 , "Ultra 120 Extreme".

From the website press release news, we can easily know that this version of cooler is really the one you need if its performance can be just as well as its advertisement. From this point, I am so looking forward to checking out this heat dissipation monster under the Intel's C2D flagship, the quad core extreme qx 6700 processor.. In this short review, I will have have 3 parts of analysis, they are:

Part I, The cooler and mainboards compatibility
Part II, The basic performance monitoring record and the serious heat load bench , (i.e., Orthos for multiplier CPU)
Part III:The efficiency of heat dissipation under 3d gaming. (full loaded)

now , let's look at the Cooler and its accessories. Note the changes compare with ultra 120 are really necessary not only by the cooler physical functions but also the mounting tools and "the electronic short circuit prevention from the back plate." I believe that you can't see that type of back plate from the utral 120.

u120e.jpg

plates.jpg

** I really like the screw with that type of spring without sticked to the screw, so when install the cooler, you can hold the spring and gentally use your hand screw that into the hold couple turns, and the whole cooler put on the CPU IHS will not out the position it should be.

well,now, we are looking is the bottom finish of U120 extreme. It has been a "must check" when you buy a new cooler. Even though it is not copper type of shinny bottom. However, you won't be disappointed by it's smoothy feeling and
cool looking.

bottom.jpg

Now it's the time to look more details about it. The main improvement from this monster is each side has extra 2 heat pipes compare with Ultra 120 without enlarge its physical size. Basically this change will speed up the heat dissipation from the base

12pipes.jpg

fins.jpg

sidepipes.jpg

sides.jpg

********************************************************************************

Now, the next , we are about to get the U120 extreme on the board and see if there any issu regarding installation and imcompatibilities.

Basically, this type of cooler has two orientations to choose from when you install. According to the Thermalright engineer told me, the better performace position of install is just as the picture I show below:

onboard01.jpg

However, here is a little problem when I try to install HR05 on the P965 chip; from the picture show, you might feel is still has room for that. however, that is before I hook the fan wire clip on. If I hook the clip on, then I have no way to install HR05 on balance of that I965 chip, that would postively damage the ic itself

onboard02.jpg

see that space between them?

probhr0501.jpg

So I end up will place the second choice, Enzotech's pure copper nb cooler instead of the great HR05;)

onboard03.jpg

Next, in order to be fair and accurate, I will show you where I plan to put the prob cable tip of DT200.
I figured there are 4 holes that tip can get in and won't block the socket T retention, meanwhile, the tip is also fairly closed to the place where we want to obtain the temperature.. so I decide it to put the prob tip there, it should be good enough to get temperature accurate.

dt200prob01.jpg

Then next we need is plug in another k-type of prob cable to measure the ambinent temperature. and here shows about 26.9c for both T1 and T2.

dt200prob02.jpg

now everything is set, my testbed looks like this,

testbed01.jpg

From that p[icture, you might feel weird , yes it is really the P5b deluxe "1.10g", and I have no idea why they did not use right pcb and just use P5b-e Plus pcb,, I did have vmod on this board for VNB, Vdimm, vdroop, as well as Vcore. here you see the the red cable is vNB, green is Vdimm, yellow is UEI DT200 prob cable.:)

**********************************************************************************************

** Before we get to the result page, here I also use another great and smart product from Thermalright, HR09, HR09 is for Mosfets cooler, I will have detrails introduction these couple days.

hr09su.jpg

installed:

hr09onboard.jpg

************************************************************************************************

Now for the performance and temperature monitor, I will do my best to get that under unbias and accurate. my testbed details is as followed:

CPU: Intel Core 2 quad extreme 6700
mainboard: Asus P5b deluxe rev. 1.10g bios 1101
PSU: Silverstone OP 1000W single rail 80a 12v
Hard druve: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE 100gb
RAM: Team Group pc8500 CL 4
VGA: Geforce MX4000 PCI
CPU cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme version with Evercool 120mm fan

************************************************************************************************

OK, let's begin the bench.

in order to the correctly records, we need to know what the exactly difference between bios and
UEI DT200 readings, so I cleared the CMOS and boot into bios , load the default setting and immediately save out to reboot into bios. I then check the pwm monitor page, the bios shows 28c for both CPU core temp and board temp.

biostemp01.jpg

The reason I use quad core for bench is because it will give me the max heat load compare with some x6800 is kind of cool and inaccurate. Here is the picture that you can see what I use. And the qx6700 is still in 1.34~1.35v for that, and dt200 reading is up to 31.5 already.:)

biostemp01.jpg

ok, after that, we make sure the difference is not that great like over 5 c or more, so I decide to add some voltage to desire fist attemp overclocking and also checking in bios again to compare .
Now, you can see is under the bios monitor page, CPU core temp has been up for 35,and DT200 just for 33.9, it is definitely correct because if bios reading is from the sensor IC of CPU area, I know it's from winbond sensor ic.

biostemp03.jpg

So now, we boot into windows. ALright, Samething every beginging of bench, is calling Super pi out. Now is not the time for play tweaking, so let's just be regularly bench.
here are couple pictures just totally surprising me at the moment when I took it.

Even that low 3.6g for dual super pi running at that low vcore usage, my qx6700 will have at least one error stop and need to reduce to around 8x445 so I can get pass for the 1m~8m. Honestly never dual 32m at that voltage , impossible. Certainly impossible., but look at that
dual pi 1m loaded from the asus prob II, 31c..tell me about that. and the moment immediately get the screen is 25c..wow. actually the more serious jaw dropping results are after pi running ...
here are all the prob II I catched from the moment super pi done for calculation.

1mfidol.jpg

1mloaded.jpg

8mfidol.jpg

dual32mfidol.jpg

well you might say , hey OPB, and where is the temperature you took from DT 200 during the run.?
Certainly, , Do I need to take the 1m , 8m? of course not.:D
how about the dual 32m , then you can understand that all. It just completely rulesall over.

I already put some notes in order not to forget what was the situation when I took the pictures
sorry about some pictures are not that clear, because I don't wanna use flash to ruin the pictures. and I will also need to took all the meters and monitors so I won't be doubt again say I am cheater:D, I also running the asus prob II for whole spi runnig.

dual32mtemp01.jpg

dual32mtemp02.jpg

dual32mtemp03.jpg

dual32mtemp04.jpg

dual32mtemp05.jpg

so now what? anything else? How about the 4 threads Orthos for over 2 hours , from that run, I never seen over 52c for 4 cores loaded 100, I did leave the task manager and resource chart.
Check again for idle temp

idletemp.jpg

orthos10m.jpg

orthos30m.jpg

orthos01.jpg

orthos40m.jpg

orthos1hr.jpg

2hr36morthos

alright, 2 hours .....sleepy..
dual32mtemp05.jpg

So how's your feeling about this? not what I wanna seduce you guys, but this cooler just too good to give up.
Previously, I all think about Tunique Tower 120 is the one ever made that good. Well, compare with U120 extreme, Tunique tower 120's performance will not be even closed , I guaranteed you.

I will have follow up for 3d bench by using this and HR09 and 03 plus, please stay tune for further report.

OPB

最後編輯:

Kotaro

初級會員
已加入
3/11/07
訊息
互動分數
點數
比較在意那個MOS散熱器....

sunshine1836

榮譽會員